So okay - there you are in your room with the shade down and the door shut nd the plug pulled out of the base of the telephone. Yo've blown up your TV and committed yourself to a thousand words a day, come hell or high water. Now comes the question: What are you going to write about? ~~ Stephen King
Here are five things to try if the words don't flow...
- Take a walk. If you are merely having a slow-brain day, the walk (oxygen to the brain) might bread up the log jam.
- Take out a clean sheet of paper and write anything and everything that comes to mind. This may get the words flowing.
- Make a list of subtopics to your main topic. Limit each item to one or two words... just an list of ideas to get you started.
- Write in another area (e.g., write a poem, write a shopping list, write a letter to a friend, etc.). It just might convince you that you are still good at writing.
- Work on your book or story anyway. commit yourself to writing a certain number of words. Be knid to yourslef and know you can revise later if it's not your best work.