There are many ways to use Twitter. Here are some of the most common and best ways to use Twitter:
1. Marketing. One of the most common uses of Twitter is marketing. Businesses, large and small, use Twitter to put the word out about what they do or have to offer and to add customers or clients to their list. By tweeting about you and your product or service, you will keep potential customers up to date on what you are doing and what you are presenting to the world. You may develop some sales just from these short messages you are sending into cyberspace.
2. General research. By following the top people in a field of interest to you, you will keep up to date on what is going on. Twitter is a great place for preliminary research on new topics.
3. News organizations use Twitter to gather news tips and to pass along the latest news. Some of the most recent top stories have come from pedestrians who were in the right/wrong spot at the right time and tweeted what happened.
4. Family, friends, and clubs use Twitter to keep in touch. Some of them have restricted accounts, so they can only talk to each other.
5. Announcements. Besides private announcements, there are plenty of public announcements going out over Twitter every day.
6. Collaboration. Many people work together through Twitter or find others to collaborate with through Twitter. And, you can't underestimate the power of Twitter to lend an ear. Many friendships form and many last because people find others of like interest with whom to communicate.
There are many more uses for Twitter. Think in terms of your own communication needs and you'll probably find a way to meet those needs on Twitter.