By reading, I'm not suggesting that you merely skim through books to see if you enjoy them. I'm suggesting that you take a book and:
- read it once for general understanding of the story;
- read it again for the pace;
- read it again to pick out the pivotal characters and to identify the function of each character in moving the story forward;
- read it again and make a detailed outline of the story; and
- read it again and mark the outline to show the important points of the plot that lead the reader through the mystery (paying particular attention to recurring climax and resolution).