Regardless of why you blog (whether it's for business or just for fun), bloggers need readers. If you're writing just for yourself, keep it in your computer or notebook. No need to take the extra step and post it to a blog.
I assume most of you are writing for others to read. There are many opportunities to find readers by networking on the Internet. Get started with these:
1. Just posting to your blog is not enough. It's important to get involved and invite the involvement of others. When you write your blog post, be sure to invite others to comment and to spread the word about it.
2. Reciprocate. It's not all about you. Although you might be thrilled to finally have a spot to say what you want when you want, blogging is about communicating with others. Approach your blog in a friendly and inviting way. This will encourage followers.
3. When starting out, send an email to your list. Tell them a little something about your blog. After introducing your blog to them, be sure to send them a short notice each time you put up a new post.
4. Put a Followers gadget on your blog. This will give people the opportunity to sign on. They will be notified when you post a new entry to your blog.
5. Visit other blogs, follow them, and comment on their blog posts. This will encourage others to visit yours.
6. List your blog on blog directories. Find directories by searching for them in your favorite search engine.
7. Join social media sites pertaining to your topic. You can find many of these at ning.com. On your page on each social media site list the URL of your blog. Participate in discussions on these sites and people will become curious about you and begin to network with you. Facebook and Linkedin are good social media sites to join, also.
8. Twitter is another good spot where you will find it easy to network with possible followers. Set up a Twitter site to tell others about your blog. Each time you post to your blog, tweet about it on Twitter to let people know that it's there.
The best way to network with and about your blog is to remember that you are communicating with others not lecturing them. Approach each blog post and each communication about your posts as a conversation and people will find it much easier to respond to you.
How do you network about your blog? Leave a comment.
By the way.... to follow my own advice, I just added the Followers section to the right. Please join me in my blogging about blogs and about writing topics in general. Thanks.